5 things to know to start an internship in Denmark

5 things to know to start an internship in Denmark

There are some things you need to take care of if you are planning to go to Denmark to study or do an internship in Denmark.


The most important thing is to get a CPR number or Danish Personal Identification number.

1) What is CPR number?

The Danish Personal Identification number is a part of the personal information stored in the Civil Registration System and to be able to use the Danish healthcare system and to be able to study in Denmark.

2) When do I need to apply for CPR?

You can choose to register in the (CPR) System if you want to work or stay in Denmark for more than 3 months. If you want to stay or work in Denmark for more than six months, registration in the CPR is obligatory. If you have a Danish Personal Identification Number, you have the right to live and work in Denmark.

3) How to obtain a CPR number?

To obtain a civil registry number (CPR number) on the basis of residence you must meet the following criteria

  • Your stay in Denmark must last more than three months
    (other Nordic countries nationals (irrespective of their nationality), nationals of an EU/EEA countries or Switzerland nationals, and their family members from third-countries may stay in Denmark for up to six months before having to notify immigration authorities of their arrival)
  • You have acquired a residence or a fixed place of abode in Denmark
  • You are legally entitled to stay in the country (in terms of documentation, this means a residence permit)

Notification of arrival must be made to the local municipality within five days after the conditions mentioned in sections 2 and 3 are fulfilled.

Requisite documentation, including ID and documentation regarding the entitlement to stay in Denmark, must be presented for the purpose of registering your personal data in the CPR system. The local municipality can require any person to report in person prior to registration.

If you study in Denmark but do not officially reside there you can nonetheless still be allocated a CPR number for taxation purposes.

For more information, click here.

4) How to apply Student residence permit for non-EU/EEA  citizen?

As a non-EU/EAA Citizen you will need to apply for a Danish residence permit to study in Denmark – before coming to Denmark.

To apply for a Danish residence permit, you need to fill an application here.

For more information, click here 

5) Expats groups for foreigners in Denmark

If you are new in Denmark and you want to ask for some information from other students, interns or employees, Expats group is the best to be a part of it. Subscribe the group from here.