5 steps to start an internship in Belgium

5 steps to start an internship in Belgium

Planning on going to Belgium for an internship? Here are a few things you need to know if you’re planning to go to Brussels, Antwerp, Ghent or another city.

Internship in Belgium: Brussels, Antwerp, Bruges, Mechelen, Ghent,

Applying for a Visa for Belgium

  • EEA Citizens

As a citizen of the European Union, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland you do not need a visa. Start out by registering yourself at the municipal administration of your residence to receive a ‘Rijksregisternummer’ (‘Numéro de Registre National’) and a proof of short-stay in Belgium. If you want to work or stay in Belgium for less than 3 months this is recommended but not obligated.

If you will be in the country for more than 3 months it is obligatory to register yourself. Besides a ‘Rijksregisternummer’ you will receive an electronic E-card.

  • Non-EEA Citizens

Besides a valid passport, a visa is necessary to enter the country. You can get one from the Belgian embassy or consulate responsible for your place of residence.
For more information, click here.

Working as a foreign intern

Although most internships in Belgium are unpaid some may include a salary. If you are an EEA citizen, doing a paid internship, you can go to any Belgian bank to open an account with your national ID. If you are a non-EEA citizen you will need a proof of residence. Find out some more information about Belgium’s work permits here.

Insurance for foreign students

Check with your national insurance if they cover medical and other costs in Belgium.

Expat Groups for foreigners

If you are new in Belgium and you have some questions for other students, interns or employees you can join different expat groups. On Facebook, you can find groups like ‘Expats in Belgium’ or ‘ Expats in Gent’. The website Expatica and Internations can help you out as well!

Information for companies

In Belgium, the law states that you can earn up to €7.500/year tax-free. Since 2003 it is obligated for an employer to report to the National Social Security Office every recruitment and termination of employment. Besides a written employment contract, the employer has to fill out the Dimona Declaration. Find more information in the legal requirements or go to the Federal Public Service Finance. Other information about work permits and employment authorization, you can find here.

Do you want to go to another country for your internship? Check out our blog posts about Denmark, Italy, Poland, or Spain.


Belgium TX