5 steps to start an internship in Italy

5 steps to start an internship in Italy

Are you going to work or be a trainee in Italy and need to manage all the necessary documents?

Don’t worry, thanks to TX Training Experience you will survive the Italian bureaucracy!

Italy internship

1) Document entitling a foreigner to work in Italy on an internship

The most important document is Codice Fiscale (tax identification number), a 16 digits unique code that is necessary to use the Italian healthcare system, attend universities, and be employed or trainee.

To obtain the Codice Fiscale you need to reach the nearest Agenzia Delle Entrate (click here to find the nearest one) office and show these documents:

  • identity card or passport
  • non-EU students have to show the permesso di soggiorno (permit of stay) or a study VISA
  • download and fill out the form (you can find the form here) from the Agenzia Delle Entrate website, or take it from the nearest office. Further information can be found here.

2) Visa & Application

  • Entry requirements for EU citizen

For some time longer than three months, you should register to Anagrafe (Register Office) of the municipality of residence. Further information in the website of the Polizia di Stato.

  • The entry requirement for non-EU citizens

To request the VISA you need these documents:

  • VISA application form. Click here to check the guide to fill it.
  • Passport size photograph.
  • Valid travel document whose expiration date is three months longer than that of the VISA requested.
  • Health insurance 
  • Enrolment in an approved mobility program.

Processing time: The minimum processing time for a Visa is 15 calendar days. It can take up to 45 days for Schengen Visa (short period) and up to 90 days for National Visa (Long-period)

Further information could be found here

3) Insurance for foreign students in Italy

You have to check if your national insurance cover medical costs in Italy. Health insurance has to have a minimum coverage of 30.000 euros for emergency hospital and repatriation expenses.

4) Tenancy contract (not obligatory)

For non-EU students, you might need to show a regular tenancy contract to be able to stay in Italy for a period longer than three months.

5) Expats groups for foreigners in Italy

You can find several groups of ex-pats on Facebook, where you can easily obtain and ask for information from other students, trainees, or employees.

Click here to subscribe to one of the biggest groups.

Buona Fortuna!

gestures in Italy

Remember to check our platform to search for internships!